Thrift Store Adventure/Thrifty Thursday


Yesterday, the kids and I took our first trip to the local thrift store. I have been so amazed by the incredible thrift-store transformations completed by fellow bloggers that I had to see for myself what treasures where to be had!

Okay, first, let me say that thrifting with a toddler and preschooler in tow is NOT fun! I was a nervous wreck as things were precariously close to edges and in arm's reach of little hands. Second, we had to take a potty break in a REALLY yucky public/unisex restroom. And finally, there were lots of "vintage" early-80s finds that just weren't floating my boat, but I persisted and scored big!

Here is my main thrift store find:


It is a tiny kindergarten or first grade school desk and the teacher-mommy in me just could not resist it.
$4.50
Not too jazzy in industrial-school grade paint, but I had a plan!



We stopped at the hardware store and picked up a can of Ace Hardware Indoor/Outdoor RUST STOP black spray paint. $4.29


I love the way the wooden seat and back slats pop against the black paint! What do you think...should I go ahead and sand/stain the wood to finish the look?


Sweet side profile.


I am going to use this little school desk as a plant stand on our front porch. I positioned it next to one of our rockers so that you you could get some perspective on just how tiny it is! I love the way it turned out and think it will be perfect for displaying a beautiful green fern or basket of brightly colored impatiens. That is, if I can keep the toddler off of it. It is just his size!

EDIT: OOOPS, I forgot to thank and link back to Leigh over at Tales from Bloggeritaville. Please drop by to discover other thifty finds!

Comments

  1. I love that chair, I found one a few months ago at a TS, identical to that one. I left mine just as I found it and have my Amish Doll sitting in it.
    I know you had fun with 2 little ones with you...lol..our TS doesn't have public restrooms you have to leave and go to a service station down the street...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a chair and how great You made it look!
    I´m not sure I understand what a thrift store is. Is it like a sacond hand store, but not for clothes but other things?
    Have a great day now and congrats to that chair.
    Christer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Valerie, I love love love the chair! It is darling and a great find! I love how you did it. I'd leave it just how you have it now. I can't wait to see some lil cute fella on it, or some pretty flowers. Hope you have a terrific Thursday!
    Hugs and Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I LOVE that little chair!!! It brings back kindergarten memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking chair -- and so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job on the chair rehab. I like the wood the way it is, but then again, I thought the chair was just great the way it was --- but the black paint made it 100 times better! (So don't take my advice on the stain lol)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable little chair. I think you should keep the wood the same. Give it a more vintage feel.

    I know how miserable it can be to drag little around when all you want to do is shop. I have a 2 year old nephew I babysit for and he's a handful. The stroller helps sometimes, until he decides he wants OUT.

    Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the chair. And that is a great price. I have several old school chairs - I can't seem to resist them and old chalkboards. I think you should leave the seat brown. I convince my kids to go with me by letting them look at the kids books and our thrift store has a free toy bin at the door! Basically McD toys but it lets me shop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You did GREAT! And your first trip? Congrats! With toddlers, I can imagine I would be a nervous wreck too (just not wanting them to touch anything). You did great in that chair. Childrens chairs are highly collectable and you got that one at a great price. LOve it! And I love how you painted it. So sweet! Thanks for playing and linking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that cute chair! How lucky are you? Make sure to feature it again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts