Our Budding Artist

Our first-born is an artist. Not in some prodigal/gifted sort of way, but in the passionate-about-life and sees-beauty-in-all-things kind of way.

I noticed it early on with Mary (18-months); her ability to sit and absorb the illustrations and artistry in books, her delight with scribbles and patience with using different media, and her fascination with shapes in the world around her. (She once commented to me that her string cheese looked like a palm tree...can you see it?)

I am not an artist, but I am creative. I sing, I write, I organize like nobody's business, but I cannot draw, paint, or draft. Mary can. Interestingly, she is also good at mathematics; both manipulating numbers and applying geometry (shapes and angles). A woman at a party shared with me that art is seeing shapes in the world. I never see shapes if I don't look for them. Mary sees shapes all of the time; she constantly points out triangles, squares and "diamonds" in the oddest of places. And now when she draws (age 4) I see her applying shapes to her art; they form the foundations of many of her drawings.

I do not know what Mary Catherine will "be" when she grows up, but I do know that whatever she chooses to do she will do with an eye for beauty and a passion for living because that is her personality. Art classes are nice and will certainly be afforded when the timing is developmentally appropriate, but for now Mary Catherine's canvases involve sidewalks, clouds, and lots of drawing paper.


Me: "Tell me about your drawing, Mary."
Mary: "Well it's a crazy slide."
Me: "Wow, that looks like it would be really fun."
Mary: "Yeah, and really scary."


(Drawing completed at preschool on 05/03/09. Weeks theme: oceans)
Me: "Mary, can you tell me about your drawing?" (See answer below)


I definitely seen rainbow water and jelly fish tentacles. Must be a flashback to last summer when mommy and Mary got stung by jelly fish in Gulf Shores.


I just didnt' know what to make of this. Of course, my adult mind immediately thought it was some type of ball or round fruit. Take another look and then study the next picture.


Mary told me that it was a flower basket. I felt so bad for her...I just didn't see it. And then, she pointed to the little garden flag. I was truly amazed. I "see" it!


Various fruits. Banana, "blue melon...hmmmm", strawberry, carrot.


The process of art is just messy!

Okay, I am off to make Cinco de Mayo "hats" with Mary Catherine (thank you, Disney and Handy Manny). Of course she wants to create hats to celebrate a holiday that has nothing to do with her heritage! LOL Now, how to make a party hat...think, think, think. Help...

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh...I remember my children doing that. I had forgotten...I miss those days SO much. Your little one is so cute...and SO busy! She did better on that basket than I could have done. Don't you hate it when you don't know what it is I remember trying to get around it..by getting them to tell me. Trickery..LOL yes..but it saved their feelings! I didn't aways get by with it. I thought she did great! You are in the best years of your life! ENJOY!
    ~Love and hugs~
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun...she is already so talented!! and having a great time creating too!!
    smiles,
    kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Mary and I look alike when we are done with our art....covered in it! I always have ink or glue on myself. She really has a great imagination.

    Oh, and if you can organize like nobodies business....want to come to my house? Seriously, I need help. I am one of those unorganized creative types :-)

    Thanks for visiting both of my blogs today. I agree with you about cutting too much away from the pictures. It's all about preserving the memories...sometimes those backgrounds are part of the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a precious post ~ AND a precious & talented child!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Come visit often!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a sweetheart. I have a niece that loves to draw too. I think it's a great way for them to express themselves, as long as their little brothers stay out of their way and their supplies! I could absolutely see the basket from the little flag. What a creative little soul. Have a great day with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for coming by my blog and leaving comments. I am dropping back by to encourage you to start writing for our Spiritual Sundays blog. About 25 to 30 bloggers write something each week. I find I am always blessed by reading and also by participating in the writing. Please check it out this Saturday or Sunday. If you can't find it, you can link up by first going to my blog. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Valerie! How awesome is that!!! She sure is a precious artist! She really does have an eye! We so love side walk chalk! And just about any thing else artsy too! I sent you an email. I can't wait to see the Cinco De Mayo hats! How fun!!!! Lil E and I just made some homemade salsa for dinner tonight, for Cinco De Mayo, and it has nothing to do with our own heritage, but is strong for the area.
    Hugs and Blessings,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts