On This Day, O Beautiful Mother


Happy Mother's Day!

This morning at Mass the choir sang one of my favorite songs, On This Day, O Beautiful Mother. The music was composed by Louis Lambillotte, SJ, 1796-1855 and the refrain and lyrics are from Rohr's Catholic Melodies, 1857. The image, of our Blessed Mother with Jesus, is borrowed from Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish, Lewisburg, PA.


(Refrain)
On this day, O beautiful Mother,
On this day we give thee our love.
Near the, Madonna, fondly we hover,
Trusting thy gentle care to prove.

This Mother's Day, I give thanks to all of the women in my life who chose to give life; my grandmothers and mother, my husband's grandmothers and mother. Without those six incredible women (and a few special husbands!) I would not have my own two beautiful blessings this Mother's Day.



Every year on Easter Sunday, I have the little ones pose next to the statue of the Blessed Mother. This year it was raining cats and dogs, thus, no picture. I made up for it, though, by having the kids wear their Easter Sunday outfits to Mass this morning. A Mother's Day photo op is the next best thing!


(Trying really hard not to trample the few flowers that are there.)

Comments

  1. What a beautiful post! Happy Mother's Day! The kids look precious!!! Just darling!
    Hugs and Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  2. What darling pictures. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.
    I sent you an email Friday night to tell you your name was chosen to receive a copy of the book How Not to Look Old. I need to send the addresses to the publisher so if I don't hear from you tomorrow I'll have to pick someone else. Perhaps you didn't get the email. Let me know.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again. I got your email but you didn't include your name and address.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still visiting from Pink Saturday and am getting to read some other really great posts.

    Your quilt is gorgeous and I love how you're displaying it! Also what a great idea for a photo. Your children are adorable.

    Enjoy your week!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mother's Day Val to one of the bestest Moms around! Your kids are just adorable, as usual. Thanks for sharing. Hope you had a nice day with your family. I got to go to church with my Mom on Sunday which was very special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how totally sweet!!

    and Happy Belated Mother's day to you too my dear!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts