Living Stations of the Cross

I've been having camera issues...thus the lack of posting and photos.  Actually, it's been a blessing this Holy Week.

I was able to snap a couple of pictures this morning of a Living Stations of the Cross service at Mary and Benjamin's school.

Sorry that the pictures are a bit blurry.  I didn't want to enter into the church with my phone on, so I snapped a couple of pics from the narthex.  I did snap one photo inside the back of the church where this sweet young man was holding Jesus' cross.



As I have never experienced a "Living Stations of the Cross" service before I wasn't sure what to expect.  Luke was exceptionally well-behaved...he was intrigued by the costumed actors.

I was overwhelmed and could not stop the tears at the beginning of the service.  Eventually I managed to pull myself together.  Eighth graders performed the different roles for each Station as well as serving as narrators.  The service started with Pontius Pilate condemning Jesus to death from the choir loft.  As those of us in the nave looked up, I was overcome with emotion watching these 13 and 14-year old children play their parts so seriously...leather whips...a crown of thorns...and don't even get me started on Veronica wiping the face of Christ!

Looking forward to Holy Thursday service tonight with my sweet girl.  Daddy will stay home with the boys as Ben came down with a cough and fever this morning.  (I sent him to school with 100.5...I know, I know, but it was only a half-day and I didn't want him to miss out on the Stations!)  He's sleeping now.  Hoping the rest of us don't come down with what he has...you know we will!  ;)


The washing of the feet and the sacrament of the Eucharist: two expressions of one and the same mystery of love entrusted to the disciples, so that, Jesus says, “as I have done… so also must you do” (Jn 13: 15).  – Blessed John Paul II

 

Comments

  1. Love the Living Stations, Val...So beautiful, aren't they? One year Madison sang...I was crying!! Prayers for your family to be healthy this Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Valerie!
    Thanks!
    My son is one of the narrators at our Stations, which is tmrw PM...My younger son is in the choir....looking forward to it. I love your shots!
    Have a wonderful Good Friday and a very Happy Easter !
    xoxoxo
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Week brings with it a lot of emotions.
    Hope Ben gets better and the rest of you don't catch it!

    Stop by-I have a fun post that the kids would enjoy.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie,

    There is a Passion play each Good Friday, at a nearby monastery. Our family has been involved in previous years, dressing up and acting out the Passion. Yes, it is very emotional. There are always a few older women who cry as we sing mournful hymns as Jesus carries His cross to Calvary. I suspect I am going to be one of those weeping women as we celebrate the Passion of Our Lord in only a few hours' time.

    Thank you for sharing your photos. It was obviously a very special and stirring event for everyone present.

    I hope you have a very blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This had been such a moving Lent for me. Some year are blah but not this year. God has been calling and I just want to run to him. Our parish is moving the Tabernacle to to correct spot this Easter. The preparations have been ap visual and have added so much to the excitement. For you I pray that Good Froday hold the longing so that Easter can hold the joy. Yeah. I love being Catholic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts