First Holy Communion Dress Shopping

It's not about the dress.

I know that.

And I hope that you know that I know that!

But, still, I'd by lying if I didn't tell you that I've been anticipating this day for years now.  About eight-and-a-half to be exact.. ;)  And as my only daughter, I was more than willing to go all out shopping for her special day.

We spent six hours together.  Just the two of us.  No little brothers tagging along,  and we even lunched at her favorite restaurant, Mimi's Cafe" because, "it's just so French-y, Mama!"

My girl and I had so much fun!  I  felt like it was a little glimpse of what's to come...if she should be called to the vocation of married life.

A few pics before the Mother/Daughter shopping trip started...


This girl is so Kansas!  
(Those are the new 4-H boots from County Days a couple of weeks ago.)

And just like a future bride, I promised my girl I wouldn't share "the" dress we ended up purchasing.  It is adorable and just so "her"!  But, to share a bit of our day with you, here a few of the contenders...




This was a favorite and ended up being a runner up to the one we bought.
It is a simple and sweet dress!


Didn't hang right...


Mary liked this one a lot, but something about the notched out top didn't lay right and bothered her...



Mary also liked this one, but I thought the front was just so-so...again, I think it was the way the material hung. We did really like the little cover-up jacket that had a pearl/cross clasp.

And we both loved the back.



And while we liked this one on the hanger, it just didn't seem to scream, "Mary"!






We were successful in the end.  And her dress is stunning.  Not over the top (although, she told me that she wanted to look like a little bride!), but the fit, the fabric, and the sweet rose pin at the waist just felt "right".

Now we just need to find a veil and some shoes!
 

Comments

  1. What an exciting time in your little girl's life, Val, and in yours as well! It looks like you had a beautiful day with her and all those dresses...I do like your runner up too. Can't wait to see the winner!

    As for the headpiece, my girls both wore the same tiara with a veil attached to the hair clips. It was just enough, but not too much! Don't forget a pretty white shawl or sweater too. Listen to me! There I go with the unsolicited advice. Ok, I'll stop now!

    P. S. One more thing...beautiful picture of you two...I love your hair! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun time! Here's my link for some ideas--There's so much out there to do...with our 2nd daughter's First Holy Communion, we didn't do as much, it was right after Sim's first surgery..but you can see the dress!

    Is it warm enough there already to go without coats? Wish our snow would melt....we're expected to get 6-8 inches by tomorrow morning. IT's MARCH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, here's the linK:
    http://makemeasaint.blogspot.com/search/label/First%20Holy%20Communion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, Valerie! First of all, you look great! So beautiful. And your daughter is such a beautiful young lady! What a precious time for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val...we are getting ready to do the same! My daughter will be 9 in April but she is making her First Communion right before that. She is going to wear her sister's veil (that she wore 10 years ago!) but we need to get a dress since she is much more petite.

    Great pics! She looks exactly like you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you made a whole day of it! That will make such a special memory for both you and Mary.

    And, of course, it isn't really about the dress-- and yet it is a little about the dress! The new white dress makes them feel like the beautiful princess God created them to be. I can't wait to see the pics of Mary in the winning one on her special day!

    My youngest son is making his First Holy Communion at the end of April, but boys just don't get into the attire for the day the way little girls do. My older son had to be coaxed into his suit on his 1st Communion day!

    God Bless, Kari

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a special time and I am so glad you made the day so special for her. I love spending special moments with my girls when there is a special occasion in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Valerie,

    I think clothes are a big part of a First Holy Communion day. I always tell my children it's important to be beautiful on both the inside and the outside for Jesus on this day. Brides take such care with their appearance on their wedding day, and so should children when they go to receive Our Lord for the first time. Maybe not everyone is fortunate enough to have a beautiful white dress but if they do have one, they should enjoy dressing up and feeling special. I loved hearing about your very special day with Mary. And all the beautiful photos. What great memories you will have.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these little dresses! I recently was in search of a communion dress for my little girl, after much searching i finally found one at http://www.dressedinwhite.com/index.php/children/dresses.html and I can't wait to try it on her!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts