Quiche (Lorraine), Cousins, & Cuteness!

(Thank you to all that left comments on both my baby names post and Mother’s Day post.  I am slowly getting back to each of you.  I have narrowed our little man’s name down to a handful of choices, but will be waiting to reveal his name on his birth day…some things needs to be left a surprise!  Also, it was so cathartic to finally put into writing our infertility story.  I feel as if I have finally paid a proper tribute to all of our losses and can now fully live (and enjoy) the present!)

This weekend my sister, nephews, and mom paid me a visit.  While the weekend was a complete wash out (no outdoor activities could be planned), we still had fun.

Everyone arrived late Friday night and so I planned for a special breakfast on Saturday morning.  I prepared Quiche Lorraine and it was delicious.

I got the recipe off of allrecipes.com and it was a hit…even with the little people.  Here’s the recipe for Quiche Lorraine:

Ingredients

  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
  • 12 slices of bacon
  • 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1/3 cup minced onion
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups light cream
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. white sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

 

Directions

1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

2.  Place bacon in a large skillet, and fry over medium-high heat until crisp.  Drain on paper towels, then chop coarsely.  Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion into pastry shell.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt, sugar and cayenne pepper.  Pour mixture into pastry shell.

4.  Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven.  Reduce heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), and bake an additional 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean.  Allow quiche to sit 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.

IMG_3491

IMG_3494

IMG_3502

I did take a few short-cuts, but I think that’s allowed when you’re 7 1/2 months pregnant!  :)  I used a store-bought pastry shell and I cooked my bacon on Friday night.  It still turned out well and the cream seemed to be the key!  I used Land o Lakes Half and Half.

IMG_3501

(Yes, those really are store-bought mini powdered doughnuts, and my roses were left over from Mother’s Day…I told you I’m really pregnant and really tired!  LOL)

Later that day, we took the little ones to Crown Center located in downtown Kansas City.  I knew that besides the cute boutiques and unique toy stores the indoor shopping plaza also housed a Fritz’s Restaurant.

Fritz’s is a “train themed” restaurant and your food is actually served to your table via train! Very cute for the littles!

(Entrance to Fritz’s)

IMG_3511

IMG_3509

IMG_3508

(Train conductor hats for all!)

IMG_3516

IMG_3517

(Famous for their thick milk shakes.)

IMG_3518

(Food arrival!)

IMG_3523

IMG_3522

Finally, when my sister arrived on Friday night she had the cutest gift for me!  I’ve been complaining about my cankles (swollen ankles and footsies!) and this is what she brought me…

IMG_3527

maternity-wear flip flops!  Love them…they say “Mom to be” on the straps and “Expecting in Style” on the heels!  Just what  I need for those hot, humid days we are known for here in the Midwest.

Hoping that you all had a lovely weekend as well.  Tomorrow’s post…progress on my “vintage-themed” nursery!


Comments

  1. Cute flops.

    I love quiche. Thankfully hubby does too... I have been meaning to post on it forever but I will tell you my secret now...
    Bake the crust first, just a bit and then paint it with a french mustard... white wine, dijon...
    Really yummy.
    Can't wait to see the nursery. Poor Juliette doesn't have one yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the kids had fun at Fritz's.
    Did you know there is one on Shawnee Mission Pkwy and Pfflumm?
    The quiche looks great.
    7 1/2 days left!!!!!!!!!!
    Can't wait for the break.

    Happy Tuesday.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Valerie,

    Thank you for your comment today. I'm sorry to hear all the twists and turns in getting your daughter's birthday planned, but hope the ballerina party turns out well. It was a really fun theme for us and a special experience for all the girls who attended.

    With the baby on the way, I hope you can put your feet up and let others do the work to pull everything together. Blessings to you and your growing family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like everyone had a blast at Fritz's. It sounds like a really fun place for kids.

    I love quiche! Yours looks so great!!
    And those flip flops are just adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts