26-Week Pregnancy Update & Other Randomness!

This has been such a busy week for us, and as my due date draws closer and closer the days seem to be spinning faster and the weeks are flying by!

On Monday I had my first follow-up growth scan since I was released from the perinatologist’s office at 21-weeks.  Once again, Baby Boy looked really good.  Nothing to indicate any type of problem.  They took long bone measurements and our little man weighed in at over 2 lbs. and is measuring in the 60th percentile.  Seems we have another big boy on our hands!

I won’t lie to you…I’ve been having some rough days of late, but felt better after our ultrasound.  I don’t think I’ve cried once since Monday.  I did break down in my obstetrician’s office, but to be honest, if felt good to get some of my unspoken fears off my chest.

What am I afraid of…not raising a child with Down Syndrome.  That I can handle, especially being a former educator.  My greatest fear is that I will go into delivery day with fear in my heart  and dreaded anticipation instead of joy in my heart and excitement.  My doctor assured me that regardless of Baby Boy’s diagnosis, delivery day is going to be a happy and joyous occasion.  (She has been my doc through our losses, infertility treatments, and now bonus babies; she knows our history!)

And she’s right…I need to remember to just be thankful for this blessing that has been given to me and to celebrate my ability to have yet one more baby!

Once again, I was given the sweetest images of our little boy…yet I do not own a scanner or have scanner capability on our printer so I can’t share the ultrasound pictures with you.  I’m going to look into investing in a scanner…suggestions?

MOPS

Also this week, I attended my first MOPS meeting.  I have been wanting to join a MOPS group for a long time now, but have been unsuccessful in finding a group that fit my schedule.

For a long time the conflict was that most churches held MOPS meetings in the mornings and I was a full-time working gal!  I needed to find a MOPS group that held evening meetings and wasn’t able to fine one in the metro area.  The other thing was that as a working mom I found a lot of camaraderie at work, especially in the field of education.  So, I didn’t really feel the need to “connect” with other mothers because I taught with a lot of them all during the day and frankly, I was exhausted by evening and not much for going out!

Now, with being home full-time and living in an isolated area, I crave fellowship with other moms.  Don’t get me wrong…I’ve made lots of wonderful connections through blogging, face book, and different boards (I belong to a board for “Pregnant and over 40” HA!!!), but sometimes you just need that human interaction to satisfy the need to connect!

So, when the invitation was extended to visit a MOPS meeting this week as a guest, I gladly accepted.  Fortunately, they had room for Mary and  Benjamin in the age-appropriate child-care rooms and both kiddos enjoyed themselves.  Of course, being a visitor I didn’t think to bring my camera and was so disappointed because the MOPPETTs (how cute is that?!) performed a Bible verse and Mother’s Day song for us!  You should have seen Benjamin…he was so scared and had the biggest eyes.  Here is on his first visit and they’re making him stand up on stage and perform a song?!!! LOL  He had his three fingers stuck in his mouth the entire time!

The programming was wonderful and three different women shared their testimonies as to how they achieved motherhood.  One member shared her story of how her son was born premature at 26 weeks (eeek!) and weighed only 1 lb 12 oz.  Today he is a tiny, but healthy two-year old delivered at the same hospital I will deliver at (Level 1 NICU for the metro area!!!).  Two other women shared their adoption stories and how they traveled half-way around the world to build their families!  Needless to say I was crying the entire time, but wasn’t the only one!  There were three other pregnant women at my table and we are all due in May, June and August!  Lots of hormones and weepiness!  LOL

Finally, I thought I’d share some cuteness of my little ones.  As I’ve mentioned in the past, Mary loves art!  Chris and I don’t know where it comes from as neither of us are artistic, although my mother, uncles and siblings are.  Mary is really into the “How to Draw…” series of books. Today we checked out from our public library, “How to Draw Ocean Animals”.  OMG!!! I don’t think I could draw a clown fish that well even following the steps!  Amazing at five and half years old!

IMG_3397

IMG_3399

IMG_3400

Benjamin has been giving me a run for my money lately.  Some days he seems so grown up and other days he will literally “act” like a baby.  He will ask for a sippy cup or bottle, will crawl, demand to be picked up and carried, etc.  I just think it is his way of saying…”hey now, wait, I’m not quite sure I’m ready to give up my place as baby of the family!”

Tonight he fought non-stop with Mary.  He took her Barbie from her while she was in the bathtub, because he knew she couldn’t go after him. (Well, she tried, but I made her get her nakedness back in the tub!)  This is what I discovered later tonight.  (He’s supposed to be in his own bed asleep, but snuck into Mommy and Daddy’s room!)

IMG_3401

I plan to share this picture with Ben’s future wife; him sleeping with naked Barbie. LOL  He was not going to give sissy her toy back!  Little stinker!

Hoping you all had a wonderful week.  The nursery preparations are underway and I can’t wait to share pictures with you all!

Blessings,


Comments

  1. Priceless! It will take Ben a bit to get used to not being the baby anymore as you know. Knowing that will help you a lot.
    Glad you were able to find a group to join. It's always nice to connect with "real" people.
    We need to get together before the new one arrives!

    Take care.

    melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Benjamin with that Barbue is hilarious! Can we say bribe picture when he's a teenager?!

    Glad baby boy looks good! Looking forward to hearing about the painting ideas (if you're still interested!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was supposed to say Barbie! Dang iPhone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I almost spit my coffee all over the screen at naked Barbie. That was awesome!
    Glad to read your baby update!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Mary that picture of your little boy with a naked Barbie is priceless! Save it! Print it! Tuck it away! Ha!

    I can't wait to see the baby's nursery...and of course can't wait to meet this new little one that your family is blessed with...

    Those drawing books are wonderful, when I homeschooled, I tried my darndest to get my little guy into them, but he has an aversion to drawing, a strong one and those books went unused if I wasn't sitting right with him. I'm glad your daughter is self-motivated to learn it!
    XOXO
    Joni

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts