Valentine Lacing Cards (Tutorial)

Good Morning and Happy Valentine's Day!

My kiddos only have a half-day of school today (oh happy/happy/joy/joy!) because of Parent/Teacher Conferences so I'll make this post quick.

On Tuesday, Mary and Ben had their classroom Valentine's Day parties.  I was in charge of games and crafts for the kindergartners.  I found this post on yarn Valentine hearts from Red Bird Crafts.  I think I really like her plain and simple cardboard backgrounds...seems to make the yarn colors pop!

Source:  Red Bird Crafts



Photo Source:  Red Bird Crafts


But, I decided to change things up just a bit.  I adhered red scrapbooking paper to the cardboard and purchased variegated purple yarn for lacing.  The changing colors of the yarn were a huge hit with the 5 and 6-year old crowd.

So, without further ado, here's my finished product...



I made nine of these...one for each kiddo.  They were quick and easy.

Step 1
I started with cardboard from both cereal boxes and shoe boxes. While the shoe box cardboard was sturdier, the cereal box cardboard was definitely easier to work with.


Step 2
I cut out red construction paper to size using my Friskars scissors.  (Logically, it makes more sense to just glue down the construction paper first and then cut to size, but I found that the paper was tearing as I cut  when I glued it first to the cardboard.  The plastic-y scissors didn't  have quite enough strength to cut through the shoe box cardboard.  Thus, I cut out squares first and then used my Friskars to cut the scrapbook paper.)







Step 3
Next, I used heart-shaped cookie cutters to trace heart shapes onto the lacing cards.



Step 4
Using a hole punch, I punched the circumference of each heart placing holes about 1/4 inch apart.





Step 5
Finally, I cut about 36" in length of yarn.  I double knotted the ends for each child and created a tape "aglet" (that plastic or metal end to a shoe lace to keep the fibers from splitting).  This prevented lots of tears and frustration!



And there you have it!   A simple Valentine lacing card.  I taught the kindergartners how to back stitch using this tutorial. Some got it...others didn't.  Hey...she's got a classroom of nine, SEVEN of which are boys!  :)


Wishing you lots of hugs and kisses today!

 

Comments

  1. Its wonderful..!! how can i use these on Plastic card designs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am book marking this idea for next year. This will be fun to do with my children.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts