Sunflowers, Babies, and a Date Night

Last night, I got to go out with my husband for a date night.  A rare occasion around here, but definitely something we should do more often!

So where did we go…

We were guests of Dr.Robert Holcomb.  Dr. H is the  Medical Director for the new transport service, Wee Deliver.  Wee Deliver is a service for transporting critically ill and premature babies to and from Overland Park Regional Medical Center (OPRMC).  OPRMC is a Level III NICU and now provides the neonatal personnel (nurses, nurse practitioners, and respiratory therapists) along with a high-tech transport chamber to move critically ill infants between hospital facilities.  According to Dr. H, “we bring the ICU to the baby.”

As a thank you to all of the different personnel involved in developing this program, (nurses, respiratory therapists, paramedics who drive the transport chamber, etc.) as well as his own staff from Sunflower Neonatology Services, Dr. H and his family provided an evening of team building activities, delicious food, and terrific conversation all while enjoying a Kansas sunset on their 10-acre family homestead!

I had a wonderful time chatting it up with such incredibly-talented people who literally do life-saving work!  While Chris and I have been fortunate enough to deliver two healthy full-term newborns that never required NICU care, it is comforting to know such high-tech care is available in the Kansas City area should the need arise for any family.

Below are pictures that Mrs. H graciously allowed me to photograph from their shin-dig!  Enjoy the view…I certainly did!

 IMG_0481IMG_0482

This was the view that greeted us as we approached the back of their property.  Mary Catherine would have been in hog horse heaven!  They own 5 horses and both of their girls ride.  In fact their eldest daughter just returned from a competition outside of Chicago where she took 2nd place nationally.  (I heard the word “dressage”, but that’s about all I caught being that my horse vernacular is not that strong!!!)

IMG_0474

IMG_0479 

As you can see, it really was an intimate gathering!  Mrs. H had the sweetest bouquets of wildflowers on each table along with munchies like trail mix and pretzels.  I failed to photograph the all-important frozen margarita machine…perhaps because I was busying holding a frozen margarita in one hand and photographing with the other?!!!

IMG_0473

IMG_0477 IMG_0557

 IMG_0558

The following series of photos are “team building” activities that my husband and fellow invitees were so gracious to participate in !  Lots of laughter, falling down, and camaraderie all-around!  Fortunately for me and my new flats, spouses were not required to participate and I nominated myself as team photographer!

  IMG_0483

IMG_0487

Here are a couple of shots of my husband…he is not the most athletic of men…somethin’ to do with that 6’4” frame of his…

 IMG_0516

IMG_0517

 IMG_0533

IMG_0538

I love a good party, especially when the animals hang with the guests!!!  I thought this little gal and her horse were just the cutest thing.  She just kept riding bareback around the party, hangin’ out with her parents (the hosts) and chattin’ it up with us!  This guy (Smokey) is 25 years old…wow!  I think that’s old in horse years…

 IMG_0520

IMG_0540

IMG_0542

 

We ended the evening with a few pics…I’m such a sucker for a wrap-around porch!  ;)

IMG_0566

IMG_0572

IMG_0573border="0" />


Comments

  1. What a great event. That doctors sounds like a great guy with a huge heart.

    Looks like you had a wonderful date :)

    Was that your Ancho Chili sweater? Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you had such a great time! I feel like I got to go also. Thanks for the pictures as well. My favorite shot is the one of you and your hubby though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey--

    Somehow I missed this post. Looks like fun! Lovely property.

    Your sweater's color looked nice on
    you.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts