A Joy-ful "Snow" Day

It's 2:00 in the afternoon and I'm still in pajamas.  So are my kids!

Today is a "snow day"…actually, a "wind chill" day.

School districts and government offices were shut down for today due to extreme weather conditions.  

My kiddos haven't even been back to school yet from Christmas Break!  Today was supposed to be our first day to return to classes.  

So, we are enjoying an extra day to our Christmas vacation…lounging in jammies…baking cookies and eating warm bowls of baked potato soup (recipe to come).

This morning, we all slept in and then enjoyed fresh-from-the-oven blueberry muffins 
with bacon and OJ.




Sadly, a little one knocked over his glass of OJ and one of my vintage juice glasses broke.  

My initial reaction was to want to scream and yell and pout over my broken juice glass…my vintage broken juice glass that was a gift from my dear sister-in-law for my 40th birthday

…but I am serious about living a joy-filled life!

Yes, the glass is broken and now my set, incomplete, BUT…

…we have had so much fun using them in the past, and enjoying them with our breakfast this morning.

Accidents happen.  

It's called life.

So instead of wanting to go with my gut reaction, 

I swallowed hard, and wiped away little tears off chubby cheeks.

I checked the anger at the door and offered grace.

Because life is messy.

And imperfect.

And we've got to find joy in the journey.

Last Fall, I mentioned that my teaching colleagues and I did a mini book study on the The Temperament God Gave You by Art & Laraine Bennett.

Well, I finally was able to get my hands on my very own copy and this read has been so very good for my soul (and I love that it is by Catholic authors!).  

I can honestly say that this book has been life-changing for me…

…for how I treat myself…

…and for how I respond to my spouse and children and broken juice glasses!

I can't wait to share more with you over the coming days.

And…I was blessed to meet up with a very special blogger on Sunday!!!

SQUEAL!

I know that many of you "know" Patty over at Reasons for Chocolate.  Patty happened to be in Kansas City over Christmas Break and we were able to squeeze in a visit.  Many thanks to both of our families that helped us to coordinate a quick visit with each other.  Pictures to come.


Comments

  1. So nice to see you, my friend!
    Your breakfast looks wonderful!!!! Sorry about the glass...but way to handle it! I think your perspective was spot on, and an inspiration to me.
    And you met Patty!!!!! What a wonderful day for you both!!! I cant wait to see the pictures... So happy for you guys. : )
    Have a cozy evening! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice morning! Aside from the broken glass...but I think it your perspective is great, even though I can relate to that momentary heart sinking feeling! Those glasses are quite nice, btw!! Blessings to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nice to have an unexpected extra day of break.

    The book sounds interesting.

    It is so fun to meet blog friends face to face.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may need to read that book. I seem to be a "snap-aholic" these days with my short temper.
    Don't you just loved when you seem to have the grace to handle situations like that with ease? Good for you!
    Happy New Year to you and your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still cherishing our little meet up! What a wonderful visit!

    Praying that your walk in persistence will remain strong! Those moments are hard…for so many reasons. I think many, many moons ago, I read that book. I may have to pick it up and reread it.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your posts Val! What a wonderful morning you planned...even with the broken glass. Just a little extra grace showered on your family :). I am going to check out that book. It sounds great! Excited to see pictures of your visit with Patty. That sounds SO FUN!

    Blessings,

    Julia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts