Of Course I’m Cute…I’m Danish!

Last summer, my mother-in-law traveled to Iowa with a friend to visit the Danish community of Elk Horn.  According to Wikipedia, Elk Horn, “…Along with the nearby village of Kimballton, …makes up the largest, rural Danish community outside of Denmark.” 

Wow.  I did not know that.

I suppose I should mention that my mother-in-law is 100% Danish-American and grew up  in a small rural farming community in Iowa…just not Elk Horn.  One of those communities where everyone’s last name ends in –sen.  (Not unlike the urban community my parents grew up in where everybody’s last name ended in –ski!)

Anyway, this is what she brought back for Benjamin:

IMG_0084

And while he is pretty stinkin’ cute…I’m not giving all the credit to the Danes.  I think the Poles had something to do with his cuteness factor too!  ;)  (Did I mention that I’m 100% Polish-American?!!! Ha!)

By the way, just to show my uncanny ability to connect two random posts, did you know that Ole Kirk Christiansen, a Dane, was the founder of the LEGO company? (See yesterday’s post.)  Today,” Lego (trademarked in capitals as LEGO) is a line of construction toys manufactured by the Lego Group, a privately held company based in Billund, Denmark.” (Wikipedia)

So I suppose it is only fitting that I have those tiny building blocks randomly strewn about my home! 

Also, a huge thank you to all of you that commented and left such great suggestions as to how I can warehouse this creative learning toy while keeping baby brother safe!


Comments

  1. Well we scandinavians are known for our cuteness :-) :-)

    They have a park called Lego land (everything is made og lego there) in Denmark and many families in southern Sweden goes there at least once in life.
    Have a great day now!
    Christer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome segue! Way to go Val! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute shirt. Don't you love knowing your background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the Irish make cute babies, I am just saying . . .signed Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. B is one cute dude!

    Have a great weekend!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts