All Nutcracker-ed Out!

IMG_1859Mary as one of the Mice in The Nutcracker 2009

IMG_1869

While I wish I could take credit for this post title, it is actually the headline of a newspaper article/commentary that my mom shared with me.

Apparently, I’m not the first mother to question her sanity after encouraging her preschooler to audition for the Nutcracker! Sometimes, as mothers, we cause our own stressors in life!  LOL

IMG_2009 Mary as one of Mother Ginger’s Children in The Nutcracker 2009

IMG_2007

Anyway, as I shared back in the fall, Mary’s dance studio puts on  The Nutcracker every other year and Christmas 2009 was the year of The Nutcracker. Not knowing what I was in for, I eagerly encouraged Mary Catherine to audition.  She made it (as did all the little ones, I think) and weekend practices began in October.

For approximately two-hours every Saturday and Sunday  October through November,  I dutifully sat in my car reading or did some grocery/Christmas shopping while Mary rehearsed with her fellow mouse companions and Mother Ginger children.  

The actual performance was on Saturday, Dec. 5th.  Friday, Dec. 4th was a long night for the little ones with stage rehearsal lasting from 6 PM until 10 PM…Mary’s usually in bed by 8:30!!!  Saturday found us at the high school auditorium by 12:00 noon and we were there for the duration.  With dress/costume rehearsal, individual and group photos, and multiple revisions, etc. we never left the high school.  Fortunately,  a seasoned “show mom” gave me the heads up and I packed the Disney Princess backpack with snacks, drinks, and card/board games. 

IMG_1906 Can you spot Mary…she’s in the middle of the line, right in front of one of the rats!

All these little girls were hidden inside Mother Ginger’s dress.  It was so cute to see them all come tumbling out when Mother Ginger clapped her hands!IMG_1986

The show was at 6 PM and lasted about 2 hours.  NEVER ONCE did Mary Catherine whine, complain, cry, etc.  She was a total trooper and loved being on stage!  All in all, The Nutcracker was a great experience for her and while she has expressed disappointment that there will be no Nutcracker in 2010, Mama is breathing a big sigh of relief!  Ha!!!

IMG_1853 My little ballerina watching the “big girls” perform one of the other numbers during Act 1.

IMG_2071 Mary and Mommy after the production.  Daddy bought Mary flowers.

And that’s it!  While I have about 300+ other photos from the show, I refuse to bore you with pictures of the other ballerinas (although they were quite magnificent and very professional)!

AND, be sure to come back for a visit tomorrow when I make one last CHRISTMAS post that is sure to be a big ANNOUNCEMENT!!!


Comments

  1. She was just too cute!

    So... what's the announcement? I've got a guess or two, but I guess I'll just have to wait for tomorrow to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie. I know you're glad it's over, but aren't you glad she participated? What a neat experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She´s so cute!
    I have to say that it´s fantastic that she didn´t complain even once! It must have been a long day even for her.
    Thanks for showing pictures!
    Have a great day now!
    Christer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your little Mary in those pictures. Her smiling face is the best! Just made me smile right back at my computer. She looks like she probably is a really funny kid. Does she make you guys laugh allot?

    I can't wait to hear your announcment..... Are you???? I won't say it but I want to so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is so darling. What a great experience for her. You are an awesome mama!

    Oh my goodness, I am intrigued...

    See you tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary made a cute mouse and flower. I bet she had a lot of fun! I know your glad for a year break. :)

    No big plans-just hanging out. You?

    Have a great one!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is so cute! How wonderful for her to get to perform in the Nutcracker. Can't wait for the big announcement! ;)

    Stop by my place, I have something fabulous for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite picture is of you two together. You are such sweet hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what's the announcement? I've got a guess or two, but I guess I'll just have to wait for tomorrow to find out.

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel your pain...I once sat thru a performance of the Nutcracker that lasted 40 days and 40 nights (or so it seemed).

    And since I'm a guy, I can never figure what the dancers are trying to pantomime. "Did someone just shoot his pet badger?" People behind me were shushing me...

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts