Cheeks




This morning, while dropping Mary off at preschool, one of her classmates commented about her cheeks.

As I was hanging up Mary's coat, Mary was busy getting herself a chair to sit in. This little girl (maybe 5) comes up to me and says (in a tone of voice that only a female can possess), "Why does she have such big cheeks?" I was dumbfounded. I mean, being a teacher I know how cruel kids can be, but I would never have suspected that pointing out one's differences started as young as 4 or 5.

I guess I really shouldn't be surprised. A few months back, Mary commented for the first time about the color of a person's skin. The difference, though, was that my daughter was asking an insightful question, not passing judgement. She matter-of-factly stated that the man's skin looked like a color in her crayon box, but she never insinuated that there was anything wrong with his skin color.

Speaking of skin...I really hope that my daughter has tougher skin than I do as this whole parenting/school thing is really going to break my heart!

P.S. We think big cheeks are BEAUTIFUL!!!

Comments

  1. Oh my! How sad, that children are allowed to be so rude. I love big cheeks and both your precious little ones are beautiful!!!

    Hugs and Blessings,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts