This Little Lady Turned 90!!!

Happy Birthday, Grandma!
 A couple of weekends ago, we traveled to Oklahoma City for my cousin's wedding. While all of the family was together, we took advantage of the opportunity to celebrate my grandmother's 90th birthday!

WOW. Ninety years young!  What was happening 90 years ago, in 1920...
  • the 19th Amendment was ratified giving women the right to vote.  
  • Prohibition goes into effect with the passage of the 18th Amendment.
  • Warren G. Harding is elected President in Nov. 1920 to replace President Woodrow Wilson.
  • The New York Yankees buy Babe Ruth.
  • The Ford Model T continues to sell well.
  • A pound of bacon cost $.47 and a dozen oranges cost $.55.

Grandma still lives on her own in her 2-story house, drives, and dresses/puts on her make-up, and fixes her hair each day!  I called her the other day and she told me that she had driven herself to a restaurant because she was craving some Fish & Chips.  A couple over at the next booth, overheard her telling the waitress that she had just turned 90-years old.  The couple came over to congratulate her and asked how she got to the restaurant.  She told them, "I still drive."  And then she told me, "Valerie, it's good to be 90!"  LOVE it!!!!


My grandmother with her brother, my great-uncle.
My sister and I with our grandmother.


Close Up

Look at those manicured nails...I told ya Grandma takes care of herself!
Yummy!
And being 100% Polish-American, no good Catholic birthday or wedding celebration is complete without a Polka band and/or accordian player.  While my hands were full, my mom, who is great at the Polka, did take Mary Catherine and Benjamin out on the dance floor.  Fun times!


The polka master!
Happy Birthday, Grandma!  May you at least have another 10 more!

Comments

  1. I'm so impressed! I hope I am feeling that well and still get around that well when I'm 90!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 90. Be happy if should run in the family. Think of all the memories you will make. Such a beautiful family. Hugs. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic!
    The things she has seen in her life!

    Have a great day now!
    Christer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cried as I read this post. My own grandmother (may she rest in peace) lived to 99 years old. She was full of spirit and spunk. I just pray that I can be half the person she was, no matter when I go. Thanks for the pictures of a beautiful woman who reminded me of another breautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is a beauty!
    Congratulations to the birthday girl.
    I hope I'm THAT active at 90!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts