Honoring those who Served

IMG_1470 This newly constructed memorial is dedicated to those who served our country in the armed forces.  The floor of this memorial is lined with brick pavers honoring the men and women from my small town who answered the call to serve and protect our freedoms.  I took this photo, last night, on the eve of Veterans Day.

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.  ~John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Today, in America, we say “thank you” to our veterans for having served in our armed forces and we pray for the repose of the souls of those have served and have passed away. 

I would especially like to say thank you to my dear, dear friend, Gillian, who served in the United States Air Force as an MP in the early to mid-1990s.  (Gillian and I were college roommates and her parents opened their home to me when I first relocated to Kansas City.  We have been close friends since the day we met  in 1989. )  Gillian and both of her siblings all chose to enter the armed forces…three different branches.  Her brother and sister are still actively serving in the United States Navy and United States Coast Guard.  Thank you Mr. & Mrs. H. for raising such honorable and brave children who served, or are serving, our Country with pride.

If you feel so inclined, hop on over to ,The Middle Lands, Gillian’s blog and leave her a message of thanks.  It is a beautiful blog dedicated to her love of nature, the arts, and her family that is indicative of the beautiful person she is.

IMG_1479 The brick pavers and marble dedication in the center of the memorial to those who served and paid the ultimate sacrifice.

How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!  ~Maya Angelou        Thank you, Gillian!!!


Comments

  1. Val, isn't the memorial neat. This Saturday I am taking Sam to the VFW they are going to have some fun activities for kids and a helicopter is going to flown in and vintage planes will fly over. What little boy wouldn't love to see this? Call me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God boost their morale and watch over them and their families.
    XOXO
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post, and I'm going to head right over to your friend's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie,
    THANKS!!! for visiting my blog and becoming a follower, I looked at some of your posts and each one of them touched me in some way.
    I have also become a follower and will visit often.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, I'll go over and see Gillian's blog! We are all so proud of the men and women that serve us. Happy Veteran's Day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Valerie. I wasn't going to blog this Veteran's Day or maybe I would just put a blip about the WASPs. But you have inspired me to blog about an issue that has been rolling around in my head since the Ft. Hood shooting. I'm sorry I am a day late but if you and your readers were to head over to my blog now - www.themiddleland.blogspot.com - I welcome and encourage frank comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am grateful for brave and honorable Americans like Gillian!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts