Take a Selfie

So...when the Assistant Superintendent of Schools tells you to take a selfie...

...you take a selfie! He asked us to capture the excitement and enthusiasm that we felt that moment...

...for those hard days to come.

Because Friends, in this line of work, there are definitely hard days.



My first half of the day was spent getting a whirlwind of information...retirement plans, health insurance, payroll, leave, etc. etc. We also sat for our ID badge pictures and then headed toward Technology to get this...



Each certified teacher gets a laptop checked out to the them.  While this is probably standard practice in public school districts throughout the nation, this is not a benefit I experienced teaching for the Archdiocese.  We barely had enough Chromebooks in our schools for the students to use!  Needless to say, I was quite excited to check out my new computer equipment.  This will make working from home so much easier.

The afternoon was spent at my new building meeting with my building principal and my 2 new colleagues.  For the first time in a long time, my principal had no new classroom teacher hires (my fellow new colleagues are the school psychologist and the school social worker).  This is HUGE in an academically under performing building because it allows for some continuity to take place.  I will share more, in a future post, about the kiddos that I am servicing, but just know that my new building assignment is academically in the bottom 5% of the entire STATE.  Yikes.  Anyway, my ESL office space if amazing...a dedicated spot to work with kiddos and store so many of my beloved teacher items!  And my new principal...well she is an absolute gem.  We are going to get along splendidly!

After work, the kiddos and I celebrated with dinner out at our favorite Mexican restaurant, The Salty Iguana.  Cheers to a successful new school year and dreams turning into reality!



Comments

  1. As a Catholic school teacher myself I am so happy and excited for you to have a public school job. Benefits, retirement, etc. make all the difference!! Jill

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your kind words are appreciated! As Mother Teresa said, "Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love."

Valerie

Popular Posts